£70000 - £90000 per annum + Equity available, flexible working
about 1 month ago
Ruby Technical Lead - SaaS Start-up
Legal tech is a rapidly developing sector, seeing significant and increasing attention, investment and innovation.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced Senior Ruby Developer to join the sector in a Technical Lead capacity, with a company with a commercially viable product, to help improve and expand the product on a rapid growth trajectory.
The business is a legal tech SaaS that tackles the avoidable pain, time and costs of company secretarial tasks and duties. It was founded in 2015 by lawyers who identified that these tasks and duties were repetitive and disproportionately time-consuming - therefore ideal for systemisation.
They have been commercially active since Summer 2019, and have had very encouraging early interest and sales, including 1 major law firm signed up in Jan 2020, with a strong pipeline.
- Ruby on Rails
- PostgresSQL database
- REST API
- AWS S3
- Hosted on Heroku
The current company is a core team of 5:
- Executive chairman (actively involved)
- Project manager (whose role is being replaced by this hire)
- Front end developer
- Back end developer
- Support staff
The development team has built an innovative, impressive and robust system, tackling and resolving a wide range of challenges to build a complex product. They are, however, junior and the company has not, until now, been in a position to support them with as strong a technical lead as it would like. Therefore, code quality, systems, and processes (e.g. testing) are not as good as they could be. This hire will address this, as well as other work.
The role will be a combination of:
- product ownership - currently done by CEO, looking to handover (~20% of time)
- software development alongside the existing team (~70% of time) and
- mentoring/ managing the development team's personal development (~10% of time).
Once development practices and procedures are more robust (~3-6 months) it is hoped that the balance would shift to :
- product ownership (~60%)
- software development alongside the existing team (~30%) and
- mentoring/ managing the team's personal development (~10%).
4 core responsibilities:
- Developing with the current team - i.e. delivering your own work.
- Helping the team deliver their own work - i.e. manage workload and prioritising, help team to understand challenges and improve solutions, improve code quality and testing/review procedures, etc.
- Mentoring the team individually - i.e. helping them learn and develop (e.g. personal development plans, hiring as necessary, etc).
- Product lead - i.e. owning product from spec to delivery.
Requirements for Ruby Technical Lead:
- 10+yrs of development experience
- General UX and UI experience
- Experience of ownership of full development life cycle of product features.
- Test Driven Development.
- Experience in legal tech nice but not necessary
- Competitive salary
- Office (west London) or flexible/remote working
- Equity available
Are you an experienced Senior Ruby Developer looking to take the next step in your career in a Technical Lead capacity? Apply today!